The first of the three-part Chapter Challenge program, Super Sweeps is designed to help chapters plan for the year and recruit members. The program outlines suggested activities while allowing chapters to earn recognition.
Chapters complete four required tasks and six out of ten optional tasks to recruit and retain members. Chapters that complete Super Sweeps will receive a certificate at the NFLCs, and the chapter’s members will receive ribbons at both the NFLCs and NLC. All chapters that complete Super Sweeps will be posted on the national website and social media pages.
In order to participate, advisers must activate the project at http://web.fbla-pbl.org/sweeps. Once activated, students login and complete the project. For help, contact State Chairperson Blake Reynolds or State Adviser Ryan Paul.
The deadline is October 20.
These four activities are required.
- Activity 1 (Required): Set a goal to increase membership and a percentage goal for retention of last year’s underclassmen. (Complete and submit the online form.)
- Activity 2 (Required): Create a Membership Committee to focus on new ways to bring in and retain members. (Upload membership recruitment/retention marketing plan which includes the names of your committee members and sections/ideas on recruitment, retention, meetings, etc. that is at least two pages in length, and at least one graphic for a poster, t-shirt design, or chapter postcard.)
- Activity 3 (Required): Submit membership dues for 5 paid underclassman (the lower two grade levels in your school) members using the online membership registration. (Complete and submit the online form listing the students that were registered.)
- Activity 4 (Required): Prepare and follow an agenda for at least one chapter meeting. (This meeting must include at least one icebreaker or interactive group activity to get members motivated and enthused. Upload a copy of the agenda.)
Choose six activities.
- Prepare a flyer of membership benefits to distribute to chapter members. Have one of your officers highlight one benefit at every FBLA meeting throughout the year. (Upload a copy of the flyer and a list of benefits that will be highlighted at each meeting throughout the year. Indicate the meeting date followed by the benefit.)
- Make a list of those underclassmen who were members and have dropped their membership over the years and send them a "We Want You Back" letter. In addition, have officers talk to some of them and find out the reasons why they dropped and include this in a letter you upload. (Upload a list of members, reasons they dropped and a copy of the letter.)
- Create a Rookie Committee consisting of all new members and chaired by one of your local chapter officers. The members of this committee are asked to develop new projects for the group and participate in other activities. (Upload a copy of minutes from one of the meetings which must include the names of committee members and at least two project ideas and two activities. Include a photo of members.)
- Produce a fact sheet and chapter bulletin board displaying the national theme and encouraging students to join your FBLA chapter. (Upload a copy of the fact sheet and a scan or digital photo of the bulletin board that was created.)
- Have local chapter officers prepare and give presentations highlighting the benefits of FBLA to classes. (Upload a picture of officers presenting and a copy of the presentation.)
- Establish an effective "buddy system" that results in the partnership of at least 10 returning FBLA members and 10 new FBLA members and plan at least one fun "buddy" activity. (Upload a copy of a news release about the activity and a photo of all "buddies".)
- Offer a prize to the person in your chapter who recruits the most new members. (Upload a copy of the news release explaining the project which includes the total number of members recruited, the name of the winner, and a photo of the winner with his or her prize.)
- Survey current members to determine what benefits are most valuable to them. Emphasize these benefits by creating a flyer to use when speaking to new members. (Upload a copy of the flyer.)
- Hold an informational meeting just for prospective members. Have officers and chapter alumni or professional members tell visitors about the benefits of FBLA. (Upload a copy of the agenda and a photo of all who attended.)
- Have one of your officers prepare and record a 1 minute video elevator speech about the benefits of joining your FBLA chapter. (Upload the elevator speech.)
- Organize a special outing for FBLA paid members to a business, professional sports game, amusement park, etc. (Upload a copy of a news release and a photo of all members that attended.)
- Plan an Induction Ceremony for new members. (Upload a copy of a news release and a photo of all new members.)
- Create a chapter newsletter or e-mail blast and either a chapter Facebook site, Web site, or Blog. (Option A: Link to your Facebook page, your web site, or blog, or Option B: Upload your e-mail blast or newsletter.)
- Host a FBLA chapter spirit day in which all members show up to school in either FBLA shirts or in blue and gold, and hold an FBLA meeting to celebrate. (Upload a photo of all members in their spirit day attire.)